Could it be that the secret to white teeth is in your pantry? You’ve probably read other articles and home remedies to make sure that having a dazzling smile is as easy as getting a little baking soda. But is it really useful for teeth whitening?
Is it effective? Is it dangerous?
If you want a short answer, then it’s yes. A spoonful of baking soda is healthy for your teeth. You can use it to whiten them and remove surface stains. But is it really effective? Well, that depends on what we mean by cash.
On the one hand, baking soda may be the cheapest tooth whitening product you can buy. In addition, a simple paste created with this element and water is safe. However, it also has a downside: it is abrasive.
- While this abrasive nature of this ingredient is perfect for removing external stains from the enamel surface of your teeth, its level of abrasion can be too aggressive. Imagine cleaning a ceramic sink with an abrasive cleaner every day. Gradually, the surface would lose that initial shine. This is what happens with the enamel on our teeth.
- Brushing your teeth with baking soda can reduce the enamel layer on your teeth. There is a similar effect to the daily wear and tear that can be caused by fine sand in the structure of the rock or the hardest stone in nature.
- The thinner the enamel becomes, the more transparent it becomes, so we will see more of the dentin color. Dentin is usually grey or yellow in colour. We will therefore achieve a result that is totally contrary to what we want to achieve.
- On the other hand, even apart from the risk of weakening the enamel of your teeth, sodium bicarbonate does not produce a dramatic improvement in the shade of your teeth.
At most, regular brushing with this component can whiten your teeth in one or two shades. Compared to the 7 – 9 shades of treatment enhancements such as professional teeth whitening, it may not be as cost effective.
Experts recommend baking soda as a safe and occasional substitute for toothpaste. However, as a whitening product, it is only good for occasional touch-ups.
An Alternative: The Whitening Gel with Carbamide Peroxide
Currently, we have many methods to achieve white teeth, but not all of them are equally effective. One of the components most commonly used by dentists is carbamide peroxide. It is an extremely safe bleaching agent and does not irritate the gums when used correctly. In fact, this ingredient is a standard ingredient in many tooth whitening treatments.
The result of a carbamide peroxide bleaching can be extraordinary. After only one week or ten days of treatment, your teeth can recover between 7 and 9 shades. In addition, it provides long-lasting results and can take many months to require maintenance treatment.
If you are looking for whitening products, you will find many teeth whitening kits and systems that offer very few results. The main difference between a professional process and a kit you can buy online or at the pharmacy is the main ingredient they use. It is possible to find products that can guarantee the white teeth you are looking for, but there are certain points to consider. Here are a few secrets to help you succeed in whitening your teeth:
- Make sure that the kit or system you buy has the purest version of the carbamide peroxide gel, with a concentration of at least 22%.
- Check that you have trays that can be fitted correctly to your denture. It is one of the keys to the effectiveness of whitening with only a small portion of whitening gel. This is the best way to prevent overuse of this powerful ingredient and make sure it touches the entire front surface of your denture. These trays will also be the best protection for your gums to prevent them from touching the gel. This will prevent increased sensitivity that can be caused by contact.
- Finally, don’t let whiter teeth cause you to postpone or avoid regular check-ups with your dentist. A good professional check-up and cleaning is essential to ensure that your teeth are completely protected against disease, plaque and decay. If you want to have white teeth, you must also take care of the health and hygiene of your mouth. Don’t focus on whitening if you don’t have clean, healthy teeth.
In short, the smile is irreplaceable and, without a doubt, one of the most attractive parts of any person. You should take care of your mouth and teeth daily and make regular visits to your dentist.
If you need to whiten your teeth, make sure you have the quality of what you are using. Always follow the instructions to avoid excesses and cause damage or harmful effects on the health of your mouth. With just a little caution, you’re sure to have a perfect smile today and for decades to come.